OGDEN MALL PARK
Ogden Mall Park is located adjacent to the Midwest Buddhist Temple on the 1800 block of Hudson Avenue and extends northeast to Sedgwick. The park was constructed in 1975 over what had been Ogden Avenue and was intended to be a passive park, where people could come and relax. The park contains two large metal horse sculptures by the noted local artist John Kearney. In the mid 1990’s, some improvements were made to the park fountain area and to the children’s play area at the northern edge of the park. The Old Town Triangle Association has funded some of the park maintenance, including the placement of three trash receptacles and the weekly trash pickup. The park is under the jurisdiction of the city’s Department of Transportation.
In 2004, a committee was formed to evaluate how well this park meets the needs of the community and what changes and improvements should be considered.After a number of community meetings and discussion groups, it was decided to focus attention on the children’s play area.A consensus emerged that the play area needed to be renovated in order to be brought up to current playground standards, particularly from a safety standpoint. The Old Town Triangle Association funded design work on the project and then initiated a fund raising program. After raising over $60,000, the renovated play area was installed in September 2006. The entire area is now covered in a rubberized soft surface and features a new slide, balance beam and benches.
Further improvements to the other area of this park remain under discussion.
Individuals interested in getting involved in this project can contact the Old Town Triangle Association.