Support Your Neighborhood. Support LCA
LCA’S NEW MEMBER VALUES PROGRAM LAUNCHES
Read about the values made exclusively available to LCA members in good standing.
BECOME A MEMBER OF LINCOLN CENTRAL
- Illinois Regulators Are Investigating A Psychiatrist Whose Research With Children Was Marred By Misconduct December 12, 2018This story was co-published with The Chronicle of Higher Education and the Chicago Sun-Times. CHICAGO — Illinois regulators have launched an investigation into a prominent former University of Illinois at Chicago psychiatrist whose research into children with bipolar disorder was shut down because of her misconduct. The state Department of Financial and Professional Regulation has issued […]
- Chicagoans Googled ‘Brewers’ More Than ‘Cubs’ In 2018 (Also ‘Van Dyke Trial’), Data Shows December 12, 2018DOWNTOWN — Chicago loves soccer — or watching the World Cup, anyway. “World Cup” was the single most-searched term on Google by people in Chicago and throughout the United States in 2018, according to the search company. Other standouts: Chicagoans searched for the Brewers enough that the Milwaukee-based team became the seventh-most-Googled term in the city. That’s […]
- Rahm Allies Block TIF Reform Vote That Could Stall Lincoln Yards Development December 10, 2018Get more in-depth, daily coverage of Chicago politics at The Daily Line. CITY HALL — Aldermen allied with Mayor Rahm Emanuel turned back an effort by members of the Progressive Caucus to reform the city’s use of tax increment financing on Monday that appeared to be on the brink of advancing after two years in limbo. Attendance: Chairman […]
- ‘Pop-Up Squad’ Of Artists Take On Harry Potter With Holiday Art Show December 10, 2018WEST TOWN — Adam Michaels, 34, is relatively new to the Harry Potter craze that first gripped the millennial generation. But that hasn’t stopped him from creating a pop-up art show centered around the boy wizard. The art show, called “A Very Harry Christmas,” will be held from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m Monday and Tuesday […]
- Candidates In 43rd Ward Unite, Accuse Ald. Smith’s Campaign Of Pushing Newcomers Off The Ballot: ‘It’s A Shame’ December 6, 2018LINCOLN PARK — A group of candidates running against Ald. Michele Smith (43rd) have united to denounce a round of petition challenges they say came from her campaign, calling it “old-school ward politics” to push “diverse voices” off the ballot. Candidates Derek Lindblom, Leslie Fox and Jacob Ringer have signed a letter asking Smith’s campaign to […]
- ‘Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’ Tournaments, Free Play Coming To Replay For Weekend-Long Gaming Extravaganza December 6, 2018LINCOLN PARK — The newest Super Smash Bros. game is coming out this weekend and Replay Lincoln Park is having a gaming extravaganza to celebrate. The bar at 2833 N. Sheffield Ave. will allow fans of the extremely popular series to bring in their consoles and new copies of “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” to play […]
- Hard To Play And A Joy To Hear, 17th Century Mexican Christmas Music Coming To Chicago Venues December 6, 2018HYDE PARK — In the mood for a truly unique holiday concert? The Newberry Consort music ensemble and EnsAmble Ad-Hoc, a group specializing in early music from Italy, Spain and Latin America, is putting on a show dedicated to 17th Century Mexican folk music. The group’s upcoming program, “A Mexican Christmas: Angels in the Convent, Dancing […]
- PAWS Has An Adopt-A-Thon This Weekend: Meet 10 Of The Animals Who Will Be There December 5, 2018CHICAGO — PAWS Chicago, the city’s largest no-kill animal shelter, is hosting an adoption event this weekend. The shelter will extend hours at its Lincoln Park Adoption Center for its Holiday Adopt-a-Thon on Friday and Saturday, according to PAWS. PAWS’ goal is to find permanent homes for more than 100 dogs, cats, puppies and kittens in […]
- 12 Super Christmas-y Pop-Up Bars To Get You In The Holiday Spirit December 5, 2018DOWNTOWN — Chicago bars are dressing up for the holidays — and offering enough Christmas-themed cocktails to get you as blitzed as Santa’s reindeer. Block Club Chicago rounded up pop-ups from across the city where you can drink, take in the decorations, grab a cookie or two and even meet Santa. Here are 12 Christmas pop-ups […]
- Old Town School Of Folk Music Postpones Planned Sale Of Armitage Building After Community Outcry December 4, 2018LINCOLN SQUARE — After outrage from staff and neighbors, the Old Town School of Folk Music’s board has decided to postpone the sale of the 909 W. Armitage Ave. building for three months. Initially the board planned to put the building up for sale in January, citing decreased enrollment, according to Dave Zibell, a spokesperson […]
Fire Station Park Wins 2nd Excellence in Gardening
The Fire Station Park, a project of the Lincoln Central Association, has won a 2018 Chicago Excellence in Gardening Award, a city-wide gardening competition created to acknowledge the many gardeners who help to make Chicago a beautiful, sustainable and welcoming place to live and work. Fire Station Park Also won in 2017
Sally Drucker, LCA Parks Chair and Board Member, and LCA Vice President Kathy Jordan received the award on behalf of Lincoln Central at the awards ceremony in the Chicago Cultural Center.
LCA President Kenneth Dotson said, "Congratulations to Sally, in particular, whose vision and leadership of the park has brought this wonderful achievement to LCA."
LCA Receives Grand Award in 29th Annual APEX Awards
Newsletter & Website Each Receive Awards for Publication Excellence
LCA was honored earlier this month with a Grand Award and two Excellence Awards in the 2017 APEX Awards for Publication Excellence. LCA was the only volunteer non-profit to be honored in the international communications competition, now in its 29th year.
Other organizations whose creative was honored include Ford Motor Company, American Cancer Society, Bank of America, GEICO, International Monetary Fund, Merrill Lynch, American Bar Association, Lockheed Martin, Augusta National Golf Club, Pacific Life, Disney, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Prudential Insurance, NASA, the National Football League, among others.
APEX Awards, cont’d
.......the "superb visuals" of the logos and their "clever headlines and slogans." APEX Grand Awards, the highest given in this competition, honor the most outstanding work in eleven main categories.
For the second consecutive year, LCA's newsletter, From the Heart, received an APEX Award for Publication Excellence. Judges cited a September 2016 sidebar article authored by Kathy Jordan on the late Conrad Moulton, father of local artist Josh Moulton, as an example of the newsletter's quality content. The senior Moulton was a famed, New York-based illustrator of print advertising, text books, and encyclopedias for four decades. APEX Excellence Awards are based on excellence in graphic design, editorial content and the ability to achieve overall communications effectiveness.
LCA's website also received an APEX Award for Publication Excellence, in the 1 to 2 Person Published Website category.
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Dec 27, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jan 8, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jan 24, 2019 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Feb 12, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Feb 28, 2019 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Mar 12, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Apr 9, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, May 14, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jun 11, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jul 9, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Aug 13, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Sep 10, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Oct 8, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Nov 12, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Dec 10, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
LCA NEWSLETTER WINS ANOTHER AWARD
A CELEBRATING HEART
LCA has served as the fiscal agent for Bauler Park for many years, but President Kenneth Dotson credited 43rd Ward Alderman Michele Smith, the Bauler Park Advisory Council, headed by Leslie Miller, and the Chicago Park District for the successful outcome. "LCA has long assisted Bauler Park," said Dotson, "but projects like this don't get done, especially not ahead of schedule, without a group of dedicated parents and neighbors, the full support of the Alderman and resources and execution from the Chicago Park District. The Bauler playlot renovation was no exception." The renovation was part of Mayor Rahm Emanuel's "Chicago Plays" initiative, which is providing updated equipment for playgrounds in the city.
JOIN LINCOLN CENTRAL
Not a member of Lincoln Central? Why not join today?
LCA & OZ PARK ADVISORY TO HOST SECOND ANNUAL HOLIDAY TREE LIGHTING CEREMONY IN OZ PARK
SUINDAY, DECEMBER 2nd | 5:00 PM
LCA & BAULER PARK ADVISORY COUNCIL TO HOST FIRST ANNUAL CAROLING FROM THE HEART
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 8TH | 4:00 PM
Receive LCA’s Award Winning Newsletter
Sign up to receive LCA's free award-winning newsletter.