- Soul-Crushing Lake Shore Drive Construction Traffic On Schedule To Finish By Oct. 6 September 21, 2018DOWNTOWN — The double-dipper construction project that has ground Lake Shore Drive traffic to a painful halt in both directions through Downtown is now halfway done. And Chicago Dept. of Transportation officials say the project is on schedule, meaning it will be done by Oct. 6 — in time for the Chicago Marathon the next day. […]
- Michelin Bib Gourmand 2019 List Features 8 New Restaurants (LIST) September 20, 2018CHICAGO — Eight new restaurants have made their way onto Michelin’s list of the best-value meals. Restaurants make the prestigious Bib Gourmand list when Michelin’s crew deems their food high quality and is able to order two courses and a glass of wine or dessert for $40 or less, according to Michelin’s website. In all, Chicago […]
- Oz Park Gets New Baseball Field, Cameras To Improve Safety, Protect Park’s Statues September 20, 2018LINCOLN PARK — One of Lincoln Park’s most-visited themed parks is getting a makeover this month. It’s the first time the whole baseball field is getting redone in about 20 years, according to Judy Johanson, president of the Oz Park Advisory Council. The majority of the $161,000 project was funded by the Cubs Charities Diamond […]
- Front Porch Concerts Are Turning Ordinary Blocks Into ‘Little’ Ravinias September 18, 2018IRVING PARK — Enjoy live music and picnics but don’t want to make the trek to Ravinia? You could recreate that experience with some neighbors, thanks to a new front porch concert series popping up around town. Carisa Marconet began Front Porch Concerts four years ago, right after she graduated from DePaul University with a […]
- Robbers Posing As Rideshare Drivers Hit 5 Times On Near North Side September 17, 2018CHICAGO — Two men are posing as rideshare drivers and robbing people, police said. The robbers posed as rideshare drivers and picked up victims who were waiting for a car, according to a Chicago Police community alert. Once the victims were inside, the robbers held them up at gunpoint or forced them into handing over their […]
- A 2-Acre Halloween ‘Farm’ (In The City) Will Include A Corn Maze With A Bar Hidden Inside September 17, 2018GOOSE ISLAND — Miss the corn mazes and pumpkin patches of your youth? You’ll soon have a grown-up alternative: Jack’s Pumpkin Nights, a pop-up beer garden located inside a corn maze, is coming to Chicago. Promising “dozens of fall-themed Instagrammable memories,” Jack’s Pumpkin Nights will include a corn maze, three bars, food, carnival games, nightly entertainment and […]
- Giant 8-Eyed Wolf Spiders Are Ready To Invade Your Home As Weather Cools September 17, 2018This story was originally published by DNAinfo Chicago in 2016. CHICAGO — Now that the weather is cooling, a giant spider invasion could be coming into your house. If the cracks on your home’s perimeter aren’t sealed, eight-eyed wolf spiders — some longer than an inch, and others carrying a batch of live young on […]
- Open House Chicago 2018: Go Inside Some Of Chicago’s Coolest Buildings September 10, 2018DOWNTOWN — One weekend a year, the owners of Chicago’s coolest buildings throw open their doors and invite people inside. It’s a chance for people to scratch that itch: I wonder what THAT place looks like on the inside. And take tons of photos. This year’s Open House Chicago is being held Oct. 13 and […]
- As Months Pass In Chicago Shelters, Immigrant Children Contemplate Escape, Even Suicide September 7, 2018CHICAGO — One 16-year-old from Guatemala said he wanted to “quitarme la vida,” or “take my life away,” as he waited to be released from a Chicago shelter for immigrant children. He was kept there for at least 584 days. A 17-year-old from Guinea went on a hunger strike, telling staff members he refused to […]
- Water Fountains Are Being Turned Off At City Parks And Beaches As Fall Approaches September 7, 2018DOWNTOWN — Joggers, it might be time to start bringing your water bottles on runs again. Park water fountains and other water features are starting to be turned off around the city, said Irene Tostado, a Chicago Park District spokeswoman. The Park District’s plumbers are starting with closed beach houses (the last day of beach season […]
Fire Station Park Wins Excellence in Gardening
LCA President Kenneth Dotson said, "Congratulations to Sally, in particular, whose vision and leadership of the park has brought this wonderful achievement to LCA."
LCA Receives Grand Award in 29th Annual APEX Awards
Newsletter & Website Each Receive Awards for Publication Excellence
LCA was honored earlier this month with a Grand Award and two Excellence Awards in the 2017 APEX Awards for Publication Excellence. LCA was the only volunteer non-profit to be honored in the international communications competition, now in its 29th year.
Other organizations whose creative was honored include Ford Motor Company, American Cancer Society, Bank of America, GEICO, International Monetary Fund, Merrill Lynch, American Bar Association, Lockheed Martin, Augusta National Golf Club, Pacific Life, Disney, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Prudential Insurance, NASA, the National Football League, among others.
LCA MEMBER WINS TOP 10 AWARD
Natural Elements Salon, owned and operated by LCA member Edda Coscioni, is the "Best Place to Get Fit and Refreshed," according to online voting in the Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce Top 10 Awards. The awards ceremony, hosted by WGN-AM's Patti Vasquez, was held at the Steppenwolf Theatre on October 24. Other winners Molly's Cupcakes for "Best Place for Coffee & Sweets"; Nookies for "Best Place to Brunch"; Dirk's Fish and Gourmet Shop for "Best Place to Shop"; the J. Parker for "Best Place to Drink"; Westend Dental for "Best Neighborhood Service Provider"; Lincoln Park Zoo for "Best Place for Arts and Culture"; and Summer House Santa Monica for "Best Place to Dine." Read more about the awards.
OLD TOWN ART FAIR NAMED COUNTRY’S BEST
APEX Awards, cont’d
.......the "superb visuals" of the logos and their "clever headlines and slogans." APEX Grand Awards, the highest given in this competition, honor the most outstanding work in eleven main categories.
For the second consecutive year, LCA's newsletter, From the Heart, received an APEX Award for Publication Excellence. Judges cited a September 2016 sidebar article authored by Kathy Jordan on the late Conrad Moulton, father of local artist Josh Moulton, as an example of the newsletter's quality content. The senior Moulton was a famed, New York-based illustrator of print advertising, text books, and encyclopedias for four decades. APEX Excellence Awards are based on excellence in graphic design, editorial content and the ability to achieve overall communications effectiveness.
LCA's website also received an APEX Award for Publication Excellence, in the 1 to 2 Person Published Website category.
LCA PRESIDENT RECEIVES 2016 NEIGHBORHOOD CHAMPION AWARD
The Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce initiated their "Neighborhood Champion" awards this year to be given annually to one business and one resident in Lincoln Park for the positive impact they have made in the community. The inaugural business award recipient was Green City Market and the inaugural resident award recipient was LCA President Kenneth Dotson. Read more.
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Sep 27, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Oct 9, 2018 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Oct 25, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Nov 13, 2018 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Nov 22, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Dec 11, 2018 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Dec 27, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jan 8, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jan 24, 2019 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Feb 12, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Feb 28, 2019 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Mar 12, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Apr 9, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, May 14, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jun 11, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
LCA NEWSLETTER WINS ANOTHER AWARD
A CELEBRATING HEART
LCA has served as the fiscal agent for Bauler Park for many years, but President Kenneth Dotson credited 43rd Ward Alderman Michele Smith, the Bauler Park Advisory Council, headed by Leslie Miller, and the Chicago Park District for the successful outcome. "LCA has long assisted Bauler Park," said Dotson, "but projects like this don't get done, especially not ahead of schedule, without a group of dedicated parents and neighbors, the full support of the Alderman and resources and execution from the Chicago Park District. The Bauler playlot renovation was no exception." The renovation was part of Mayor Rahm Emanuel's "Chicago Plays" initiative, which is providing updated equipment for playgrounds in the city.
JOIN LINCOLN CENTRAL
Not a member of Lincoln Central? Why not join today?
LCA’S NEW MEMBER VALUES PROGRAM LAUNCHES
Read about the values made exclusively available to LCA members in good standing.
BECOME A MEMBER OF LINCOLN CENTRAL
JOIN US FOR THE 5th ANNUAL EVENING IN THE GARDEN
Please join us on Thursday evening, September 13th, as we bring the neighborhood together for another magical evening in award-winning Fire Station Park & Gardens at the 5th annual Evening in the Garden, a reception style event celebrating our wonderful neighborhood and saluting our volunteers.
Evening in the Garden, one of LCA's most popular events, will be held from 6:00 PM TO 8:00 PM (but, we'll stay as long as you're having a good time.) This year's event will feature hors d'oeuvres & wine from popular neighborhood food and beverage establishments including Geja's Cafe &, J9 Wine Bar.
Evening in the Garden is a great opportunity to visit with old friends and neighbors and meet new ones and get to know business with heart who support LCA.
LCA & OZ PARK ADVISORY COUNCIL LIGHT UP THE NEIGHBORHOOD
Receive LCA’s Award Winning Newsletter
Sign up to receive LCA's free award-winning newsletter.
3 days ago
Don't forget the free LCA member appreciation this evening, courtesy of Geja's Cafe. The event is from 6 to 8 on the outdoor patio at Geja's. White sangria, a selection of wines, premium meats, Belgian chocolate fondue, and Gruyere cheese fondue will be served. Please RSVP at www.tinyurl.com/lcagejas ... See MoreSee Less
1 week ago
Final reminder about LCA's 5th Annual Evening in the Garden this evening from 6 to 8 PM in Fire Station Park (Armitage & Larrabee). The public is invited. The free event will feature food and beverages from Geja's Cafe, J9 Wine Bar, 7 Plates Cafe and the always popular neighborhood potluck. The amazing magician, Benjamin Barnes, will be back again to perform close-up magic and dazzling illusions. ... See MoreSee Less