- Incumbent Aldermen Haul In Big Bucks As Opponents Gear Up To Challenge Them August 13, 2018CITY HALL – As summer days wane and new campaign launches proliferate, candidates in contested aldermanic races have roughly $5.2 million to spend on upcoming races, with millions more expected to pour in before Election Day in February. Incumbent aldermen are hauling in big bucks — although the open race in the 47th Ward promises […]
- Concerned About Lincoln Yards Transportation Issues? Get Organized, Ald. Hopkins Says August 10, 2018DOWNTOWN – Chicagoans worried that the massive $5 billion plan to transform now-industrial land along the North Branch of the Chicago River into a new neighborhood will snarl traffic throughout the North Side need to “get off the sidelines” as Sterling Bay’s project enters the next phase, Ald. Brian Hopkins (2) said. “You have Friends of the […]
- Heartbroken Friends Of Lane Tech Student Who Died After Lollapalooza Raise More Than $20K For His Family August 8, 2018NORTH CENTER — The GoFundMe page for a Lane Tech senior who was hit by a train Sunday has raised more than $20,000 in less than 24 hours. Sincere Ash, 17, was last seen with friends at about 4:15 p.m. Sunday at Lollapalooza in Grant Park and was later reported missing. After hours of searching, friends […]
- Sterling Bay’s Big Lincoln Yards Plan Needs To Put Traffic And Parks First, Survey Says August 8, 2018LINCOLN PARK — An online survey asking the public what they thought of Sterling Bay’s plans for Lincoln Yards didn’t get many responses, but those who did weigh in were very focused on how the $5 billion plan would impact infrastructure and transportation in the area. Fewer than 500 people responded to the online survey – a fraction of […]
- Play Bingo, Eat Hot Dogs, Win Veggies Tonight At The Hideout August 1, 2018BUCKTOWN — Veggie Bingo is season is here again and tonight, Block Club Chicago is getting in on the action. The weekly bingo game returns to The Hideout, 1354 W. Wabasnia Ave. from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday. Each week, players can sip beers and eat hot dogs while playing to win an array […]
- Tired Of Piles Of Trash Near Sedgwick Brown Line, Resident Starts His Own Garbage Pick Up Service July 31, 2018OLD TOWN — For Brian Wassel, there are worse things than picking up dog poop when out walking his golden retriever puppy. In the three months since he started, Wassel estimates he’s hauled more than a thousand gallons of trash from the bins along the 1400 block of North Sedgwick, about a half mile from […]
- Packed Animal Shelter Asked Chicagoans For Help … So Residents Lined Up To Rescue 109 Pets July 30, 2018CHICAGO — PAWS Chicago, the city’s largest no-kill animal shelter, needed help finding homes for the dogs and cats it rescues — and Chicagoans stepped up. PAWS was at capacity at the end of last week and, concerned that would limit its ability to take in more pets, asked for help finding permanent homes and foster families […]
- Hawaiians Call For Aloha Poke Boycott, Saying No Company Should Own The Words ‘Aloha Poke’ July 30, 2018CHICAGO — A Chicago-based poke chain has angered hundreds of Hawaiians after an activist said the chain sent cease and desist letters to other restaurants for using the word “aloha.” In August 2017, Eater Chicago reported that a poke shop in Fairhaven, Wash., changed its name in response to a cease and desist letter from […]
- Stabbing In Lincoln Park Seriously Wounds Man Trying To Break Up Fight July 30, 2018CHICAGO — A 21-year-old man was stabbed while trying to break up a fight in Lincoln Park early Sunday. At 2:43 a.m., the man was in the 600 block of West Belden Avenue when he tried to end a fight between other people, police said. Someone stabbed the man in the left side of his ribs […]
- Chicago Accents Are Not Sexy At All, Study Finds July 27, 2018DOWNTOWN — A new survey says da Chicawwgo accent is da least attractive. The survey, which was conducted and released earlier this month from YouGov, found just 2 percent of all respondents thought Chicagoans have the most attractive accent. So what’s better? Southern and Texas accents, apparently: 18 percent and 12 percent of the 1,216 respondents, […]
Fire Station Park Wins Excellence in Gardening
LCA President Kenneth Dotson said, "Congratulations to Sally, in particular, whose vision and leadership of the park has brought this wonderful achievement to LCA."
LCA Receives Grand Award in 29th Annual APEX Awards
Newsletter & Website Each Receive Awards for Publication Excellence
LCA was honored earlier this month with a Grand Award and two Excellence Awards in the 2017 APEX Awards for Publication Excellence. LCA was the only volunteer non-profit to be honored in the international communications competition, now in its 29th year.
Other organizations whose creative was honored include Ford Motor Company, American Cancer Society, Bank of America, GEICO, International Monetary Fund, Merrill Lynch, American Bar Association, Lockheed Martin, Augusta National Golf Club, Pacific Life, Disney, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Prudential Insurance, NASA, the National Football League, among others.
LCA MEMBER WINS TOP 10 AWARD
Natural Elements Salon, owned and operated by LCA member Edda Coscioni, is the "Best Place to Get Fit and Refreshed," according to online voting in the Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce Top 10 Awards. The awards ceremony, hosted by WGN-AM's Patti Vasquez, was held at the Steppenwolf Theatre on October 24. Other winners Molly's Cupcakes for "Best Place for Coffee & Sweets"; Nookies for "Best Place to Brunch"; Dirk's Fish and Gourmet Shop for "Best Place to Shop"; the J. Parker for "Best Place to Drink"; Westend Dental for "Best Neighborhood Service Provider"; Lincoln Park Zoo for "Best Place for Arts and Culture"; and Summer House Santa Monica for "Best Place to Dine." Read more about the awards.
OLD TOWN ART FAIR NAMED COUNTRY’S BEST
APEX Awards, cont’d
.......the "superb visuals" of the logos and their "clever headlines and slogans." APEX Grand Awards, the highest given in this competition, honor the most outstanding work in eleven main categories.
For the second consecutive year, LCA's newsletter, From the Heart, received an APEX Award for Publication Excellence. Judges cited a September 2016 sidebar article authored by Kathy Jordan on the late Conrad Moulton, father of local artist Josh Moulton, as an example of the newsletter's quality content. The senior Moulton was a famed, New York-based illustrator of print advertising, text books, and encyclopedias for four decades. APEX Excellence Awards are based on excellence in graphic design, editorial content and the ability to achieve overall communications effectiveness.
LCA's website also received an APEX Award for Publication Excellence, in the 1 to 2 Person Published Website category.
LCA PRESIDENT RECEIVES 2016 NEIGHBORHOOD CHAMPION AWARD
The Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce initiated their "Neighborhood Champion" awards this year to be given annually to one business and one resident in Lincoln Park for the positive impact they have made in the community. The inaugural business award recipient was Green City Market and the inaugural resident award recipient was LCA President Kenneth Dotson. Read more.
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Aug 23, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Sep 11, 2018 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Sep 27, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Oct 9, 2018 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Oct 25, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Nov 13, 2018 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Nov 22, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Dec 11, 2018 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Dec 27, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jan 8, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jan 24, 2019 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Feb 12, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Feb 28, 2019 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Mar 12, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Apr 9, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
LCA NEWSLETTER WINS ANOTHER AWARD
A CELEBRATING HEART
LCA has served as the fiscal agent for Bauler Park for many years, but President Kenneth Dotson credited 43rd Ward Alderman Michele Smith, the Bauler Park Advisory Council, headed by Leslie Miller, and the Chicago Park District for the successful outcome. "LCA has long assisted Bauler Park," said Dotson, "but projects like this don't get done, especially not ahead of schedule, without a group of dedicated parents and neighbors, the full support of the Alderman and resources and execution from the Chicago Park District. The Bauler playlot renovation was no exception." The renovation was part of Mayor Rahm Emanuel's "Chicago Plays" initiative, which is providing updated equipment for playgrounds in the city.
JOIN LINCOLN CENTRAL
Not a member of Lincoln Central? Why not join today?
LCA’S NEW MEMBER VALUES PROGRAM LAUNCHES
Read about the values made exclusively available to LCA members in good standing.
BECOME A MEMBER OF LINCOLN CENTRAL
JOIN US FOR THE 5th ANNUAL EVENING IN THE GARDEN
Please join us on Thursday evening, September 13th, as we bring the neighborhood together for another magical evening in award-winning Fire Station Park & Gardens at the 5th annual Evening in the Garden, a reception style event celebrating our wonderful neighborhood and saluting our volunteers.
Evening in the Garden, one of LCA's most popular events, will be held from 6:00 PM TO 8:00 PM (but, we'll stay as long as you're having a good time.) This year's event will feature hors d'oeuvres & wine from popular neighborhood food and beverage establishments including Geja's Cafe &, J9 Wine Bar.
Evening in the Garden is a great opportunity to visit with old friends and neighbors and meet new ones and get to know business with heart who support LCA.
LCA & OZ PARK ADVISORY COUNCIL LIGHT UP THE NEIGHBORHOOD
Receive LCA’s Award Winning Newsletter
Sign up to receive LCA's free award-winning newsletter.
7 days ago
Please consider donating your gently used clothing and household items to the Lincoln Park high School Football team's FUNDrive tomorrow, Friday August 10, 2018. The team will be collecting your items in the parking lot of the high school at 2001 N Orchard (near Armitage & Halsted) from Noon-3Pm. The items will then in turn be brought to UINQUE Thrift Store on Elston. The team will be paid by the pound for the items and the store supports Vietnam Veterans of America. You get to clear out ylour garage or closets. Everybody wins!!! Thank you. ... See MoreSee Less
2 weeks ago
Fire Station Park is again a finalist in the Chicago Excellence in Gardening Awards after being a winner in the 2017 awards. Congratulations to Sally Drucker and her excellent team of volunteers. ... See MoreSee Less
Lincoln Central Association added 4 new photos.
2 weeks ago
Lincoln Central Association was recently honored with four awards in the 30th Annual APEX Awards for Publication Excellence. LCA's events received a Grand Award in the "Campaigns, Plans & Programs" category. "From the Heart," the LCA newsletter, won awards in three categories "Entire Issue," Feature Writing" and "Regular Column."
This is the third consecutive year LCA's newsletter received at least one APEX Award and the second consecutive year LCA received a Grand Award. The 2017 Grand Award came in the "Design & Illustration" category for LCA's suite of organization and event logos. You can read the press release here at https://tinyurl.com/LCAapex.
To receive the free award-winning newsletter, simply click the blue "Sign Up" button near the top right of LCA's Facebook page. ... See MoreSee Less
Lincoln Central Association added 2 new photos.
2 weeks ago
Our friends at LCA member and sponsor Lakeshore Sport & Fitness are hosting a fundraiser for a good cause on Friday, August 24th from 6:00 to 9:30 PM. Details below and at https://www.facebook.com/events/456348138139886/ ... See MoreSee Less