- What Does It Take To Be The King Of Chicago Bar Trivia? A Lot Of TV — And Attention To Detail October 15, 2018LINCOLN PARK – “In the fourth episode of Season 1, what color does Angela say is whorish?” It’s just another night at work for Jeremy Cahnmann, Chicago’s trivia king. He’s authoritatively spouting off questions about NBC’s “The Office” at Joe’s on Weed Street in Lincoln Park as teams huddle and tentatively answer. Cahnmann is the […]
- The Blue Cart Is Just The Start: Inside Chicago’s Recycling Center (VIDEO) October 15, 2018CHICAGO — To understand the “why” behind the do’s and don’t’s of Chicago’s blue cart recycling program, we traveled to the Far South Side. That’s the home of Waste Management’s CID Recycling Center — so huge it merits its own exit off the Bishop Ford Expy. — where upward of 500 tons of recyclables are […]
- Lee Lumber, Chicago’s Largest Lumberyard, To Close Next Week After 66 Years October 15, 2018CANARYVILLE — Lee Lumber, the largest lumberyard in Chicago, will close for good Oct. 23 as the sons of the late founder prepare for retirement. Founded in 1952 by Lee Baumgarten, Lee Lumber served contractors and the public at its original location at 633 W. Pershing Road in Canaryville, a design showplace in Bucktown, along with […]
- Amazing Open House Chicago Photos Highlight The City’s Lesser-Known Architectural Gems October 15, 2018CHICAGO — Chicago’s coolest addresses threw their doors open last weekend for the annual “Open House Chicago,” a free peek inside the city’s most beautiful and interesting buildings. The wildly-popular event was a hit on Instagram, with the curious basking at the sights within some places rarely open to the general public. Here’s a roundup […]
- Armed Robbers Have Hit 10 Times On North Side, Targeting People Who Are Alone October 12, 2018CHICAGO — Armed robbers have struck at least 10 times around the North Side, including six times this week, police said. The three latest robberies happened in a 40-minute span in Lincoln Park and Lakeview, with the spree starting late Wednesday and ending early Thursday, police said. Three victims had their cars and other items stolen […]
- Paperless Parking Meters Coming To All Of Chicago By Mid-2019 October 11, 2018CHICAGO — The city has started replacing its parking pay boxes with paperless versions. Installation of the boxes, which will eventually be available for all 36,000 metered parking spaces in the city, began Thursday in the Downtown area, according to a Chicago Parking Meters news release. The current pay boxes require drivers to pay, get a […]
- Lakeview, Lincoln Park See 3 Robberies And Carjackings In Just 40 Minutes October 11, 2018CHICAGO — Two women and a man were held up at gunpoint in the span of just 40 minutes Lincoln Park and Lakeview. The first robbery was reported at 11:55 p.m. Wednesday, when a 25-year-old woman was standing on the sidewalk in the 1600 block of West Barry Avenue and two people with a gun came […]
- Watch This Video, And You’ll Never Try To Recycle A Plastic Bag Again October 10, 2018LINCOLN SQUARE — It’s been more than two years since the City of Chicago asked — actually, told — residents to stop collecting recyclables in plastic bags and dumping those bags into blue carts. The “bagless” edict has been a difficult one for residents to swallow, resulting in a spike in “contamination” — the industry term for […]
- ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ Is Filming At Wieners Circle Tonight October 10, 2018CHICAGO — “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” will film at famous hot dog stand The Wieners Circle on Wednesday night. The host himself might not be there, but Kimmel’s sidekick, comedian Guillermo, is expected to be present. In a tweet and post on Facebook, the Wieners Circle encouraged Chicagoans to stop by and watch Guillermo “behind the counter.” […]
- October Is Like Christmas For Svengoolie, Our Favorite Horror TV Host October 10, 2018This story was originally published by DNAinfo Chicago in 2017. Block Club Chicago has updated it. DOWNTOWN — It’s not Christmas, but it is the most wonderful time of the year for one Chicagoan: Svengoolie. The TV host is known for dishing out lovably corny jokes and skits alongside horror movies every Saturday on “Svengoolie.” Sven, played by Rich […]
Fire Station Park Wins Excellence in Gardening
LCA President Kenneth Dotson said, "Congratulations to Sally, in particular, whose vision and leadership of the park has brought this wonderful achievement to LCA."
LCA Receives Grand Award in 29th Annual APEX Awards
Newsletter & Website Each Receive Awards for Publication Excellence
LCA was honored earlier this month with a Grand Award and two Excellence Awards in the 2017 APEX Awards for Publication Excellence. LCA was the only volunteer non-profit to be honored in the international communications competition, now in its 29th year.
Other organizations whose creative was honored include Ford Motor Company, American Cancer Society, Bank of America, GEICO, International Monetary Fund, Merrill Lynch, American Bar Association, Lockheed Martin, Augusta National Golf Club, Pacific Life, Disney, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Prudential Insurance, NASA, the National Football League, among others.
LCA MEMBER WINS TOP 10 AWARD
Natural Elements Salon, owned and operated by LCA member Edda Coscioni, is the "Best Place to Get Fit and Refreshed," according to online voting in the Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce Top 10 Awards. The awards ceremony, hosted by WGN-AM's Patti Vasquez, was held at the Steppenwolf Theatre on October 24. Other winners Molly's Cupcakes for "Best Place for Coffee & Sweets"; Nookies for "Best Place to Brunch"; Dirk's Fish and Gourmet Shop for "Best Place to Shop"; the J. Parker for "Best Place to Drink"; Westend Dental for "Best Neighborhood Service Provider"; Lincoln Park Zoo for "Best Place for Arts and Culture"; and Summer House Santa Monica for "Best Place to Dine." Read more about the awards.
OLD TOWN ART FAIR NAMED COUNTRY’S BEST
APEX Awards, cont’d
.......the "superb visuals" of the logos and their "clever headlines and slogans." APEX Grand Awards, the highest given in this competition, honor the most outstanding work in eleven main categories.
For the second consecutive year, LCA's newsletter, From the Heart, received an APEX Award for Publication Excellence. Judges cited a September 2016 sidebar article authored by Kathy Jordan on the late Conrad Moulton, father of local artist Josh Moulton, as an example of the newsletter's quality content. The senior Moulton was a famed, New York-based illustrator of print advertising, text books, and encyclopedias for four decades. APEX Excellence Awards are based on excellence in graphic design, editorial content and the ability to achieve overall communications effectiveness.
LCA's website also received an APEX Award for Publication Excellence, in the 1 to 2 Person Published Website category.
LCA PRESIDENT RECEIVES 2016 NEIGHBORHOOD CHAMPION AWARD
The Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce initiated their "Neighborhood Champion" awards this year to be given annually to one business and one resident in Lincoln Park for the positive impact they have made in the community. The inaugural business award recipient was Green City Market and the inaugural resident award recipient was LCA President Kenneth Dotson. Read more.
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Oct 25, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Nov 13, 2018 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Nov 22, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Dec 11, 2018 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Dec 27, 2018 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jan 8, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jan 24, 2019 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Feb 12, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Feb 28, 2019 – LCA Monthly Board Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Mar 12, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Apr 9, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, May 14, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jun 11, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Jul 9, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, Aug 13, 2019 – LCA Monthly Zoning Meeting
LCA NEWSLETTER WINS ANOTHER AWARD
A CELEBRATING HEART
LCA has served as the fiscal agent for Bauler Park for many years, but President Kenneth Dotson credited 43rd Ward Alderman Michele Smith, the Bauler Park Advisory Council, headed by Leslie Miller, and the Chicago Park District for the successful outcome. "LCA has long assisted Bauler Park," said Dotson, "but projects like this don't get done, especially not ahead of schedule, without a group of dedicated parents and neighbors, the full support of the Alderman and resources and execution from the Chicago Park District. The Bauler playlot renovation was no exception." The renovation was part of Mayor Rahm Emanuel's "Chicago Plays" initiative, which is providing updated equipment for playgrounds in the city.
JOIN LINCOLN CENTRAL
Not a member of Lincoln Central? Why not join today?
LCA’S NEW MEMBER VALUES PROGRAM LAUNCHES
Read about the values made exclusively available to LCA members in good standing.
BECOME A MEMBER OF LINCOLN CENTRAL
JOIN US FOR THE 5th ANNUAL EVENING IN THE GARDEN
Please join us on Thursday evening, September 13th, as we bring the neighborhood together for another magical evening in award-winning Fire Station Park & Gardens at the 5th annual Evening in the Garden, a reception style event celebrating our wonderful neighborhood and saluting our volunteers.
Evening in the Garden, one of LCA's most popular events, will be held from 6:00 PM TO 8:00 PM (but, we'll stay as long as you're having a good time.) This year's event will feature hors d'oeuvres & wine from popular neighborhood food and beverage establishments including Geja's Cafe &, J9 Wine Bar.
Evening in the Garden is a great opportunity to visit with old friends and neighbors and meet new ones and get to know business with heart who support LCA.
LCA & OZ PARK ADVISORY COUNCIL LIGHT UP THE NEIGHBORHOOD
Receive LCA’s Award Winning Newsletter
Sign up to receive LCA's free award-winning newsletter.
18 hours ago
You are invited to an evening of fine wine, fashion and cheese fondue this Thursday evening October 18th from 6 to 8 PM at Vis Strozzi (1971 N. Halsted). The event is free but the courtesy of an RSVP is requested.
Please RSVP at www.tinyurl.com/viastrozziwine
This event is not limited to LCA members but LCA members do receive 20% off on all purchases at Via Strozzi.
Via Strozzi is dog friendly so your 4-legged critters are welcome. ... See MoreSee Less
7 days ago
Don't miss the nation's top family magician, Danny Orleans, who returns, once again, to perform at LCA's 11th Annual Howler at Bauler, scheduled for Saturday, October 27th from 3 to 5 PM at Bauler Park.
Danny will amuse and delight you with his magic and his humor. Don's miss your opportunity to see Danny Orleans up close! ... See MoreSee Less
3 weeks ago
Congratulations to Sally Drucker and her volunteers at Fire Station Park & Gardens. For the second consecutive year, Lincoln Central Association's Fire Station Park has received a Chicago Excellence in Gardening Award. ... See MoreSee Less